South Elkington is a village and a parish 2.5 miles north-west of Louth, on the road to Market Rasen. Welton-le-Wold parish is to the south-west and Brackenborough parish to the north-east. The parish covers 2,660 acres (3,085 in 1912) and contains the hamlets of Ackthorpe and Coach Grange.
Locals refer to both North Elkington and South Elkington as "Elkington". If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the A631 arterial road west out of Louth.
Jonathan BILLINGER has a photograph of South Elkington on Geo-graph, taken in 2007.
Elkington Hall, was the seat of the Rev. William SMYTH in 1871. The Hall was built of brick in 1842 in the Italian style.
Thorpe Hall, originally built in 1584 by Sir John BOLLE, was once owned by James BIRCH, who mortgaged the hall in 1759. The mortgage was purchased by the Rev. William CHAPLIN, who bought the house in 1825. It was restored in the 1980s and still stands.
A good book which details Thorpe Hall: "Lincolnshire County Houses & Their Families", by Terrence R. LEACH, 1980.
John EMERSON also supplies this list of names off of the memorial:
To the glory of God and to the immortal memory of the glorious dead connected with Elkington who gave their lives for home and country in the Great War 1914-1919 and whose names are inscribed below. Lest we forget.
Ekwall's "Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place-Names" (4th Edition, 1977), tells us that Elkington is mentioned in the Domesday Book: "Alchinton", and the name is cited in c1115 "Helchingtuna", 1205 "Northalkinton" and 1209 "Sudhelkinton".
Acthorpe Top, a hamlet in the parish, is always pronounced "Agthorpe" by the locals.