South Ferriby is a village and a parish in the far north of Lincolnshire, on the south bank of the River Humber. North Ferriby is in Yorkshire on the other side of the river. Horkstow parish lies to the south. The parish covers almost 1,600 acres. Ferriby Sluice is a hamlet in this parish, about one mile west of South Ferriby. Read's Island sits in the Humber, just off shore, where the Weir Dike empties into the River Humber. The Humber here is about 4 miles wide.
If you are planning a visit:
Pick up a copy of "Guide and handbook to Winteringham and district" by Charles Edwin TRIMMER, ISBN B0000-EF3E0, publ. Jackson & Sons.
Or try this book; "South Ferriby - A 4000 year old Odyssey" by Pauline HEATHERSHAW. It gives details of the parish history and the school headmasters through the ages.
Gerald ENGLAND has a photograph of Read's Island on Geo-graph, taken in 1981. As you can see, the island is quite flat and often inundated by tidal surges.
By automobile, take the A15 motorway north from Barnetby le Wold and turn left (west) at the A1077 trunk road. South Ferriby village is on the A155 west of Revesby and east of Tumby.
The parish was a well-known source of chalk, stone, tile and bricks for several centuries.
The parish had a daily steam packet to Hull from the Sluice, except for Thursdays and Sundays. The boat was run by the Hull & Goole Steam Packet Company.
A Temperance Hall, made of brick, was built here in 1882.
The parish built a "reading room" here in 1884.
The "Ferry Boat" Inn was here in Ferriby Sluice in 1842 run by Wm. ROWBOTTOM, but appears to have closed by 1868.
The "Sloop Inn" functioned here in 1868 and 1872 run by Eli COLE and in 1882, run by Thomas SUMPTER, but appears to have closed by 1913.
The Hope and Anchor Public House on The Sluice is part of the parish history. Now run as a restaurant and bar, it is still in operation. Reserve a table at their website. Individuals' names associated with the establishement in different years are:
My. A. AMBLER, vict.
Wesley GRANT, vict.
Eli Scott MOUNCEY
Jn. Wm. SLATER
Wesley GRANT, above, was born in Cuxwold, LIN, circa 1838.
David WRIGHT provides a photograph taken in 2006 of the Nelthorpe Arms on Geo-graph.
The Nelthorpe Arms on School lane has a bit of history. Individuals' names associated with the Inn in different years are:
South Ferriby School has a Website, but it's a bit thin on History.
Chris JAGGER provides a photograph taken in 2007 of South Ferriby School on Geo-graph.
The phone number for South Ferriby School is 01652-635-251.
The "catchment area" for the school is South Ferriby, Horkstow and Saxby-all-Saints. Children from Horkstow and Saxby-all-Saints travel to school by school bus which is free of charge and provided by the local authority.
Here is a photo of the school, taken by (and copyright of) Gordon WALTON. Gordon advises that this school will close in 2005 and students move to a new school about 1/2 mile away.