South Kyme is both a village and a parish. South Kyme is a parish consisting of the townships of North Kyme and South Kyme. The parish is about 10 miles east-northeast of Sleaford on the B1395 that runs south from Billinghay. It covers about 4,900 acres. The River Kyme, also called the Kyme Eau, flows through the parish to join the River Slea.
The village of South Kyme sits on both sides of the River Slea. North Kyme village is at the juntion of the A153 trunk road and the B1395, about 1.5 miles south of Billinghay. The Car Dyke passes through North Kyme. If you are planning a visit:
The castle here, probably built by Robert de UMFRAVILLE around 1320, was torn down between 1720 and 1725.
The last Baron KYME died in 1338 and the barony fell into abeyance. The manor and estates descended by marriage to the TALBOYS family.
Smallpox is known to have visited the village in 1790 leaving several villagers deceased.
A little hard to find, but useful, is the book: "South Kyme - The History of a Fenland Village," by Margaret Newton & Village Project Group, 1995, 200 pages. Published by Kyme Publications, The Old Rectory, South Kyme, Nr. Lincoln, LN4 4AB, UNITED KINGDOM. Cost was about £6 originally.
The name derives from the Old English cymbe, meaning "(place at) the hollow". It appears as Chime in the 1086 Domesday Book. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.]