South Thoresby is a village and a parish about 4 miles west of Alford, 8 miles north of Spilsby and about 9 miles southeast of Louth in the Wold hills. A stream called the Withern Eau runs through the parish and eventualy joins the Great Eau. The parish covers about 950 acres and includes the hamlets of Calceby and Driby.
If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the A16 trunk road south out of Louth just past Swaby. Or, from Alford, take the A1104 arterial road west to the A16, then north on that road about a mile and turn right for South Thoresby.
South Thoreby Warren was declared a Nature Reserve in 2008.
For many years in the 20th century, South Thoresby was the site of a Magic Wand Factory. For some reason they were unable to make a go of it and the business has moved and the old building reverted to residences.
Ian PATERSON provides a photograph of the Vine Inn on Geo-graph, taken in 2008.
The Vine Inn (also called the Vine Hotel) dates back to at least 1842 when it was a popular stopover for coaches and men on horseback. It offered food, drink, stables, blacksmithing and wheelwright work. At last report, the Vine Inn was for sale. Here are the names listed in various directories for the Inn:
John HILTON, blacksmith
Samuel WHITE, blacksmith
Samuel WHITE, vict.
Mrs. Caroline MICHAEL
The 1881 census shows the following people at the Inn (RG11 / 3260, folio 21):
The name derives from the Old Scandinavian Thorir+by, meaning "farmstead or village of a man called Thorir". It appears as Toresbi in the 1086 Domesday Book. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].