South Witham is both a village and parish on the River Witham 11 miles south of Grantham, less than a mile off the A1 trunk road to the west. The river flows north at this point, toward neighboring North Witham parish. The parish is bordered by Leicester and Rutland counties on the west and south. The parish covers about 1,770 acres and includes the Forty Acre Wood.
If you are planning a visit:
"Ermine Street," the old Roman "North Road" to Lincoln, crosses this parish.
There used to be train service to Bourne and Spalding in the later half of the 1800s and the early 1900s. That service ceased around 1960.
Witham is from the Celtic or pre-Celtic river name of uncertain origin, and the name appeared as Widme in the 1086 Domesday Book. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
The village name has also often appeared spelled as South Wytham
The parish established a School Board in January, 1877.
A Board School (Public Elementary School) was erected in 1879, funded primarily by Ralph TOLLEMACHE, and enlarged in 1899. The facility is on Water Lane and the school is now known as the South Witham Community Primary School.