Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Spalding Church History

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Spalding Church History

Church History

  • The Anglican parish church is dedicated to St. Mary and St. Nicholas and was rebuilt in 1294. (JB) It was originally a Benedicting priory, founded in 1051 by Thorold de BOKENHALE. It was extensively repaired and restored in 1865 and again in 1886.
  • The church seats about 1,200.
  • The churchyard closed some time in the 1850s except for ashes in urns. So burials may be in oither churchyards or in the community cemetery.
  • There is a photograph of St. Mary and St. Nicholas Church on the Wendy Parkinson Church Photos web site.
  • Here are two photographs of St. Mary and St. Nicholas Church, taken by Ron Cole (who retains the copyright):

St. Mary and St. Nicholas Church

St. Mary and St. Nicholas Church

  • Wickham (or Wykeham) hamlet used to have a chapel of ease. The original chapel was built in 1293, but that building was a roofless ruin by 1840.
  • The Victorian Church of St John the Baptist on Hawthorn Bank dates from 1875. (JB) The ecclesiastical parish of St. John the Baptist was formed on 1 December 1874 from the civil parishes of Spalding and Pinchbeck. The church seats about 450. The register, naturally, starts in 1875.
  • There is a photograph of St. John's Church on the Wendy Parkinson Church Photos web site.
  • Here is a photo of St. John's Church, taken by Ron Cole (who retains the copyright):

St. John the Baptist Church

  • The Victorian Church of St Paul on Holbeach Road dates 1880. (JB) The ecclesiastical parish of St. Paul, Fulney, was formed on 21 December 1877 from the civil parish of Spalding. The church was erected in 1880 and seats about 350. The register, naturally, starts in 1875.
  • There is a photograph of St. Paul's Church on the Wendy Parkinson Church Photos web site.
  • Here is a photo of St. Paul's Church, taken by Ron Cole (who retains the copyright):

St. Paul's Church

  • The Church of St. Peter, on the site of the old Abbey, is a red brick building, erected in 1875-6, seating about 500. It is considered a chapel of ease for SS. Mary and Nicholas, so look there for register entries.

Note: Sections marked (JB) were contributed by John R. G. Bland of Lincolnshire.