We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Stamford

Church History

  • In ancient times there were 14 churches in Stamford, but many of these were destroyed in 1461. The town was divided into five parishes in 1547.
  • For pictures and current activities, see the Stamford Churches website.

Saint Leonard's Priory

  • Saint Leonard's Priory, near Hudd's hill, is the ruins of the Benedictine Monastery founded in the 7th century by St. Wilfrid, Bishop of York.
  • The ruins that remain were from structures built in 1082.
  • There is a gateway on St. Paul's street that dates from no later than 1300.
  • At Stamford Baron was a Benedictine Nunnery founded in 1155.

St. Mary's

  • St. Mary's church is perhaps the most eye-catching church in Stamford. The church stands on St. Mary's Hill.
  • This church is considered the "mother church" of Stamford.
  • The church was built in the late 13th century and the tower dates from the early 14th century.
  • The church was restored in 1890.
  • The church seats 300.
  • Here is a photo of Saint Mary's Church, taken by Ron Cole (who retains the copyright):

Saint Mary's ChurchSt. Michael's

  • St. Michael's church is in the High Street.
  • The church seated 1,000.
  • The church was closed by the Diocese of Lincoln in October, 1971. In June of 1974 it was converted to a covered market and restaurant.
  • Here is a photo of Saint Michael's Church, taken by Ron Cole (who retains the copyright):

Saint Michael's ChurchSt. George's

  • St. George's church is in St. George's Square.
  • St. George's church was built in 1450 by William Brughes.
  • The church was partially restored and enlarged in 1888.
  • The church seats 350.
  • Here is a photo of Saint George's Church, taken by Ron Cole (who retains the copyright):

Saint George's ChurchAll Saints

  • All Saints church is adjacent to Red Lion Square.
  • All Saints church was completely restored in 1857.
  • The church seats 350.
  • Here is a photo of All Saint's Church, taken by Ron Cole (who retains the copyright):

All Saint's ChurchSaint John the Baptist

  • The church of Saint John the Baptist is in St. John's street.
  • The church was completely restored and reseated in 1855-57.
  • The church seats 300.
  • This church was declared redundant by the Diocese of Lincoln in February, 2003.
  • Here is a photo of Saint John the Baptist Church, taken by Ron Cole (who retains the copyright):

Saint John the Baptist ChurchSaint Martin (Stamford Baron)

  • The church of Saint Martin is in Stamford Baron in the county of Northampton, but in the borough of Stamford.
  • It is believed that the church was originally built in 1482.
  • The church seats 500.
  • Here is a photo of Saint Martin's Church, taken by Ron Cole (who retains the copyright):

Saint Martin's ChurchCatholic Church

  • The church of "Our Lady and St. Augustine, Apostle of England" is in Broad street.
  • The church was built in 1864.
  • The church seats 250.

Congregational Chapel

  • The Congrgational Chapel is in Star Lane.
  • The chapel was founded in 1720 and the chapel built in 1849.
  • The chapel seats 550.

Trinity Wesleyan Chapel

  • The Trinity Wesleyan Chapel is on Barn hill.
  • The chapel was built in 1886.
  • The chapel seats 600.

Particular Baptist Chapel

  • The Particular Baptist Chapel is in North Street.
  • The chapel was first built in 1834 and rebuilt in 1900.
  • The chapel seats 200.