Stapleford is both a parish and a village that lies in the vale of the River Witham, 7 miles ENE of Newark and 12 miles SSW of Lincoln. The two Nottinghamshire parishes of South Collingham and Langford lie to the west, and the Lincolnshire parishes of Norton Disney and Carlton le Moorland lie to the north and east. The parish covers just over 2,700 acres of good farmland.
The River Witham passes just east of the village in its journey north. If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, the village is just south and east off of the A46 trunk road between Lincoln and Newark.
The A17 trunk road is about three miles to the south of the village.
Flawford farm, formerly an extra-parochial plot only four miles east of Newark, is partly in Lincolnshire and mostly in Nottinghamshire. In ancient times it belonged to the Knights Templar, but by 1871 belonged to the HANDLEY family of Newark. In 1884, this farm was split between the two counties and the portion adjoining Stapleford, about 200 acres, became part of that parish.
In 1871, all of the remaining parish land was owned by Lord Middleton. In 1913, he was still the principal landowner.
The parish name occurs several places in England. It derives from the Old English stapol+ford, which means "ford marked by a post". ["A Dictionary of English Place-Names," A. D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1991]