Stow is both a parish and a village 150 miles north of London and about 6 miles southeast of Gainsborough and 13 miles south of Scunthorpe. The parish itself is bordered on the north by Willingham parish and on the west by Marton parish. The parish consists of four townships: Stow, Normanby, Sturton and Bransby. Sturton is the largest of these townships and is a separate village about a mile south of Stow. The parish covers about 4,000 acres.
Stow village is near the River Till. A tributory of the river passes through the village. The River Till passes near the east end of the parish. The village is also about a mile north of the old Roman Road which is now the A1500 trunk road. If you are planning a visit:
Take the B1241 trunk road at Lea off of the A156 trunk road south out of Gainsborough and head east about two miles, then follow that road as it turns south for about two more miles.
This place is considered to be the site of the Roman Sidnacaster, which was the seat of the first Saxon bishop of Lincolnshire. A few Roman coins have been found in the parish, as have extensive Roman foundations and lines of streets.
In 1156, most of Stow was destroyed by fire.
In 1216, Henry III visited Stow while his army was defeating the French army at Lincoln.
Stow Fair was held here in early October. It was principally a cattle fair.
Felons were said to have been executed here in ancient times, at a place called "Gallows Dale".
For lesser offenses, Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Whipping Post on Geo-graph, taken in 2008.
"Stow" gives its name to one of the archdeaconries of Lincolnshire.
"Sturton" was originally called Streeton and was, in recent centuries, called Sturton-in-the-Street from its location on the Roman Road (now known as Tillbridge Lane). After the coming of the railways, it became Sturton by Stow.