GENUKI Home page
Lincolnshire Lincolnshire
county page
    Contents Contents     Parish Index Lincolnshire
Towns & Parishes
Neighbours Nearby Places

Stow (Stow in Lindsey)

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2410
1871 R.G. 10 / 3447
1881 R.G. 11 / 3297
1891 R.G. 12 / 2636
Return to top of page

Church History

St. Mary's Church

St. Hugh's Church

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Stow is both a parish and a village 150 miles north of London and about 6 miles southeast of Gainsborough and 13 miles south of Scunthorpe. The parish itself is bordered on the north by Willingham parish and on the west by Marton parish. The parish consists of four townships: Stow, Normanby, Sturton and Bransby. Sturton is the largest of these townships and is a separate village about a mile south of Stow. The parish covers about 4,000 acres.

Stow village is near the River Till. A tributory of the river passes through the village. The River Till passes near the east end of the parish. The village is also about a mile north of the old Roman Road which is now the A1500 trunk road. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Governance

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

     Year  Inhabitants
1801 243
1831 385
1871 401
1881 361
1891 289
1901 304
1911 309
1921 287
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

[Last updated: 15-March-2013 - Louis R. Mills]