GENUKI Home page
Lincolnshire Lincolnshire
county page
    Contents Contents     Parish Index Lincolnshire
Towns & Parishes
Neighbours Nearby Places

Swinderby

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2136
1861 R.G. 9 / 2476
1891 R.G. 12 / 2711
Return to top of page

Church History

All Saints Church

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Swinderby parish is approximately 9 miles SW of Lincoln and 7 miles NE of Newark on Trent. The parish borders on Nottinghamshire to the west, Norton Disney parish to the south and Thurlby (by Lincoln) parish to the east. The ancient Foss Way, now the A46 trunk road, cuts through the southeast corner of the parish. The Trent River is about three miles to the west. The parish covers about 2,200 acres, including the ancient hamlet of Bracken.

The village of Swinderby sits on a rise above the Trent. The parish sports a new hamlet called Witham St. Hugh's. Morton Hall is a hamlet along Morton Road which has grown in the 1900s on the eastern side of Swinderby village. Morton is a separate hamlet a half a mile to the east. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

There were, in effect, two RAF stations in Swinderby parish.

The Airfield:

Morton Hall station:

Return to top of page

Military Records

Return to top of page

Names, Geographical

Return to top of page

Politics and Governance

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 254
1811 307
1841 490
1851 541
1871 548
1881 503
1891 470
1901 423
1911 484
1921 427
1931 361
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

[Last updated: 31-October-2012 - Louis R. Mills]