Swinstead is both a village and parish which lies just east of the A1 trunk road and south of the A151, 2 miles south-east of Corby. The West Glen River runs along the west boundary of the parish. The parish covers about 1,790 acres.
The name derives from the Old English Swin+ham+stede or "homestead where pigs are kept," and is listed in the 1086 Domesday Book as Suinhamstede. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].