The parish register dates from 1562, although the register of marriages dates only from 1775.
Boyd's Marriage Index holds parish marriages from 1562 to 1837.
The LFHS has published several marriage indexes for the Loveden Deanery to make your search easier. In the early 1900s, as the region grew in population, the church was placed in the North Grantham deanery.
The Lincolnshire FHS has a Loan Library service which has the parish registers on microfiche for Baptisms from 1730 to 1783 and Marriages from 1730 to 1812.
Syston is both a village and a parish 3 miles north of Grantham and 109 miles north of London. Marston parish lies to the west, Barkston parish to the north. The parish covers about 1,600 acres in an east-west orientation.
The River Witham runs past the western side of the village, heading north to Barkston. If you are planning a visit:
Take the A607 trunk road, which passes along the eastern edge of the village, north out of Grantham.
The THOROLD family claims to have been in Syston prior to the Conquest (cited in Arthur Mee's 1949 "The Kings England - Lincolnshire". Others claim that they did not enter the parish until 1614. For more on this family, see Marston.
The Jericho Woods, adjoining the Gonerby hills, together with the church and village of Syston, are believed by experts to be described under the name of "Willingham" in Sir Walter Scott's novel, the "Heart of Mid-Lothian." One source lists the name "Jericho" spelled as "Jerico".
Syston Hall sat a mile east of the village in a well-wooded park with a small lake. It was the seat of the THOROLD family. It was built to replace the previous mansion which had been near the parish church in the valley below. At one time it had a large and very valuable collection of rare books.
Syston Hall was torn down in 1923. [J. Williams]
David BEVIS has a photograph of the Old Hall near the church on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2012.