Tallington is both a village and parish 90 miles north of London and it lies between Stamford and Market Deeping on the A16 trunk road, only 3.5 miles southwest of Market Deeping. The parish is bounded on the west side by Uffington parish and on the east by West Deeping parish. Northamptonshire lies to the south, across the River Welland.
The village sits on the north bank of the River Welling. If you are planning a visit:
Tallington has an Old Glory Steam Festival each May, featuring a number of old traction steam engines in working condition. The main event is a Steam Tractor Pull! The event was cancelled in 2001 due to the outbreak of Foot and Mouth Disease.
Tallington also has a dry ski slope to keep the skiing enthusiast in shape.
Tallington is on the A16 between Stamford and Market Deeping.
Archeaologists have investigated a possible Neolithic settlement in Tallington parish. See "Excavations in Peterborough and the Lower Welland Valley 1960-69", by W.G. Simpson, D. Gurney, J. Neve and F. Pryor.
The name Tallington is from the Old English Tael+ing+tun, or "Tael's estate". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village is given as Talintune. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]