The LFHS has published several indexes for the Horncastle Deanery to make your search easier.
The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel in Tattershall, built in 1849. The Wesleyan's also had a chapel in Tattershall Thorpe, a mud-and-stud building, which they rebuilt in 1865. For more on researching these chapel records, see our non-conformist religions page.
Tattershall is both a village and parish about 120 miles north of London, 22 miles south-east of Lincoln and 9 miles south-west of Horncastle. Kirkby on Bain parish lies to the north. The River Witham flows along the south-west border of the parish. Coningsby parish lies across the River Bain to the south-east.
Tattershall village is south-west of Woodhall Spa, west off of the B1192 trunk road. The village is alongside the River Bain. Tattershall was an ancient market town. Tattershall Thorpe is a hamlet in this same parish, just to the north of Tattershall. If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the A153 north out of Sleaford and stay on it 'til you pass through Billinghay. The next village is Tattershall.
Julie Nicholls, in 2001, advised: "Tattershall is very rural, it is a village about 15 miles S.E. of Lincoln city and about 8 miles S. of Horncastle. It has a very impressive castle and at nearby Coningsby there is a Battle of Britain Memorial centre."
Tattershall is generally considered to be the Roman site of Dorobrevis. They used it as a summer military station. Traces of the encampment can be found in Tatterrshall Park.
Robert EUDO, in 1201, obtained a grant from Richard II to hold a weekly market here.
Robert EUDO's son, Robert, obtained a license from Henry III to build a castle here.
The first castle here was begun about 1230 by Robert of Tateshale, a descendant of EUDO. It is believed to have been finished in 1440.
The current Tattershall Castle was built in 1434 by Ralph de CROMWELL, 3rd Baron Cromwell - Henry VI's Lord High Treasurer - on the site of the earlier 13th century stone castle, of which some remains can still be seen.
The dramatic 15th century red brck tower, with six floors to explore, was restored by Lord Curzon betweeb 1911 and 1914.
A college was founded here under Henry VI (1438-9) by Sir Ralph de CROMWELL. In the late 18th century, it was converted into a brewery before being left empty and allowed to deteriorate into the ruin that it now is. The walls that remain standing are shored up by modern brick. Heritage Lincolnshire is currently managing the site.
A remarkably well kept 15th century buttercross stands in the Market Place. Markets are no longer held but the buttercross is still surrounded by shops.
Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Market Cross on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2008.
An annual cattle fair was held here each September 25th.
The former railway line has been converted into a cycle path at a cost of £2 million. The path was officially opened in October 2008.
A National School was established here some time prior to 1842 and replaced by a new building in 1864. The school had been held in the parish church originally. The school was enlarged in 1873 and again in 1907 to hold up to 138 children.
The Gartree Community School (built 1954) is a secondary modern school for ages 11-16 on Butts Lane. The school also serves Coningsby and Woodhall Spa.