Temple Bruer is both a "modern" parish and very ancient one, but it is not listed as a parish in most pre-19th century records. The reason for this is that it was a parish in Norman times, fell into disuse and was considered an extra-parochial portion of Wellingore parish. A population "explosion" in the 19th century caused it to be incorporated as a modern parish. A decline in the early 20th century has caused the parish to be amalgamated again with Wellingore.
Temple Bruer parish was reconstituted on 7 March, 1879 from five contiguous farms. Its center lies 10 miles southeast of Lincoln, 4 miles southeast of Lavenby and 6 miles northwest of Sleaford. Wellingore and Welbourn parishes lie to the west and Brauncewell parish to the south. The old Roman Road, Ermine Street, passes through the western edge of the parish, but at this point is a walkway, not a modern road. Temple High Grange is part of the parish. The parish covered about 3,900 acres.
There was never a "village" of Temple Bruer, just scattered houses. The Temple of Temple Bruer is on PRIVATE property belonging to Temple Farm and the Temple can be found in the farmyard. Access to the Temple is through the farmyard to a car park at the rear. If you are planning a visit:
- Take the A607 trunk road north out of Grantham or south out of Lincoln and turn east at Welbourne. The A15 trunk road also passes just east of the parish - take the Welbourne Road west.
- Pick up a copy of the booklet "Days Out in the Heart of Lincolnshire; Stepping Out - Walks (Wellingore and Temple Bruer); North Kesteven Airfield Trail" - available from: Northern Kesteven District Council, Sleaford Tourist Information Centre, Moneys Yard, Sleaford, Lincolnshire NG34 7TW. Tel: 01529 414294.
- Heritage Lincolnshire holds tours of the Templar Tower on Sunday afternoons in good weather.
- Visit our touring page for more sources.