Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Thorpe St Peter
- St Peter, Spilsby Road, Church of England
- For the Census, the parish was in the Wainfleet sub-district of the Spilsby Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
|Piece No. |
|1851 ||H.O. 107 / 2109 |
|1861 ||R.G. 9 / 2373 |
|1871 ||R.G. 10 / 3389 & 3390 |
|1891 ||R.G. 12 / 2602 |
- The Anglican parish church is, of course, dedicated to Saint Peter.
- The church is built of sandstone. There have been several restorations.
- The church seats about 300.
- There is a photograph of St. Peter's Church on the Wendy PARKINSON web site under "more Lincolnshire".
- Here is a photo of Saint Peter's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1637.
- The IGI appears to only cover parish register dates from 1690 to 1700.
- The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a burial index for the Calcewaith and Candleshoe Deanery to make your search easier.
- There were two Wesleyan chapels here, one built in 1880 to seat about 100 and another built in 1838 with only room for 50 worshipers. The Primitive Methodists also had a chapel, erected in 1874 at Thorpe Bank. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Wainfleet sub-district of the Spilsby Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Thorpe St. Peter is both a village and a parish that lie north of Boston, just inland from the North Sea and about 125 miles north of London. Croft parish forms the eastern border and Wainfleet All Staints lies to the south. The parish covers just over 3,100 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
- The village of Thorpe St. Peter lies along the B1195 trunk road from Wainfleet to Spilsby.
- Check out our touring page.
You can see pictures of Thorpe St Peter which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Thorpe St Peter has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- This parish was a brick-making center in the 1800s.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Queen Victoria Inn on Station road on Geo-graph, taken in 2006.
- These are the names associated with the Queen Victoria Inn in various directories:
Year ||Person |
|1842 ||James COMINS, vict. |
|1861 ||Wright COUPLAND |
|1868 ||Joseph INMAN |
|1872 ||Charles Everett GRAVES, vict. |
|1882 ||John BAKER, vict. |
|1885 ||John Henry BERRY |
|1900 ||Jn. Gray WATSON |
|1913 ||Joseph WATSON |
|1919 ||Joseph WATSON |
|1930 ||Joseph Gray WATSON |
- The Hall in Thorpe St Peter has been demolished, sometime in the last fifty years. The site is shown on the current Ordnance Survey map as a "Moat", conveniently close to the village Inn and Church. [Ken FORMAN]
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF480600 (Lat/Lon: 53.116626, 0.209957), Thorpe St Peter which are provided by:
- David HITCHBORNE has a photograph of the War Memorial outside the church on Geo-graph, taken in 2007.
From the War Memorial, by John Emerson (Alphabetized by surname with additional notations):
To the Glory of God and in memory of the men from Thorpe St Peter who fell in The Great War 1914-1919
Lest we forget
|Surname || Given names
||Died || Cemetery
|HEWISON ||Arthur ||Pte. ||7 ||Lincs ||29 Nov 1915 ||Menin Road South || |
|HEWISON ||George ||Petty Officer || ||HMS "Laforey" ||23 Mar 1917 ||Chatham Naval Mem. || |
|HEWISON ||William ||Pte. ||6 ||Lincs ||8 Jun 1917 ||Ypres Mem. || |
|HOUGHTON ||Sidney Thomas ||Pte. ||1 ||Devon ||7 Nov 1918 ||Pont-Sur-Sambre Com. Cem. || |
|JOHNSON ||William || || || || || ||b |
|LEPLA ||George || || || || || ||c |
|MOODY ||Joseph ||Pte. ||10 ||Lincs ||15 Apr 1918 ||Ploegsteert Mem. || |
|PELL ||Edward || || || || || ||b |
|WOODS ||George || || || || || ||b |
- Not found in Commonwealth War Grave Com. database.
- Not enough info. to fully research. (Too many matches.)
- Possibly Jeffrey LePla, 2nd Lincs, died 25 Sept 1915
Greater love hath no man than this
And this man fell in the second Great War 1939-1945
|Surname || Given names
||Died || Cemetery
|TEMPLEMAN ||Arthur Henry ||Signalman || ||R. C. of Signals ||11 Apr 1944 ||Taukkyan War Cem. || |
- The name Thorpe St. Peter is often given without the first "e": Thorp St. Peter.
- The parish was in the East division of the ancient Bolingbroke Wapentake in the East Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
- The parish was also in the Bolingbroke Soke.
- For today's district governance, see the East Lindsey District Council.
- In December 1880, a portion of Hagnaby parish, with 16 residents, was transferred to this parish.
- The parish used to have two bede houses for the poor, but these were gone by 1911.
- There was a charity in the early 1900's which distributed the interest from £30, by way of the vicar, to the local poor.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, the parish became part of the Spilsby Poor Law Union.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Spilsby petty session hearings.
|Year || Inhabitants
|1801 ||207 |
|1831 ||498 |
|1871 ||649 |
|1881 ||566 |
|1891 ||540 |
|1911 ||457 |
- A Public Elementary School was built here in 1876 for 65 children. In 1911, average attendance was 43.
- See our Schools page for more information on researching school records.