Threekingham, or "Threckingham", is both a village and parish 7 miles due south of Sleaford and 11 miles east of Grantham. Swaton parish lies to the east. The parish coverrs about 2,300 acres and includes the hamlet of Stow.
If you are planning a visit:
The village is just south of the A52 trunk road and just east of the A15's junction with that road.
The village is at the intersection of the Roman Ermine Street and the Salter's Way.
J. HANNAH-BRIGGS has a photograph of the village sign as you enter from Acre Lane on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2013.
One of the largest cattle fairs in all of England was held here for more than 800 years.
The Black Death, which struck England in 1349, reduced Threekingham to a permanently small village with a population of about 150.
The Three Kings Inn: Reputedly, a hostelry has been on the site of The Three Kings Inn for centuries. An ailing King John stayed at the Inn during October 1216 when he was en route from Swineshead Abbey to Newark Castle where he died. Three centuries later, on the 8th August 1554, King Henry VIII passed through the village on his way to York and returned a few weeks later. In the 18th Century the Inn was known as the Harvest Home and then the Barley Mow. In about 1737, Dick Turpin's mother-in-law, Mrs Berrys, ran the Inn, and he frequently visited her to feed his horse before he set out to rob travellers on Salters Way.
Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Three Kings Inn on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2006.
Folklore suggests that the village was originally called Laundon, but this was changed after the bloody battle fought near Threekingham, in either 869 or 870, between the Saxons (led by the earls Algar, Morcar and Leofric) and the invading Danes (during which 3 Danish kings and many of their followers were slain). What is more likely, however, is that the original settlement or 'ham' was created more than 1300 years ago when the Saxon 'Trincinghas' tribe came to the area near to the crossroads of the Roman road (Mareham Lane) which was built as an offshoot of the Ermine Street to help defend the Carr Dyke (6 km to the east of the village), and the more ancient Salters Way that joined the salt mines at Droitwich in the West Midlands to the Wash.