The church has an ancient origin and was partly rebuilt in 1821 and restored in 1895. The existing church has a font of Norman origin.
Evidence of two earlier Saxon churches have been found on the south side of the village.
The parish once was the site of the Foss Nunnery of the order of Saint Benedict, endowed about 1218 by King Henry III. There is a monument in St. Peter's churchyard to Margaret de Winton, prioress of the nunnery.
King John founded an Augustine priory here, dedicated to Saint Leonard.
The Wesleyan Methodists had a small chapel here in Hardwick prior to 1913 and a larger chapel in Torskey as well. For more on these chapels and their records, check our Non-Conformist Church Records page for additional resources.
Torksey is a village, a township and parish which sits on the edge of the Wolds about 146 miles north of London, seven miles south of Gainsborough and nine miles west of Lincoln. The Fossdyke Canal passes just south of the village and connects to the River Trent, which is the western boundary of the parish. Marton parish is to the north and Fenton parish to the south.
The parish contains three ancient townships: Torksey, Hardwick and Brampton. Hardwick is a district of scattered farms about 3 miles southeast of Torskey village on the east side of the Fossdyke Canal. Brampton is an area one mile northeast of Torskey village, known in the 19th century for its fine pottery and porcelain called "Torskey Ware". "Torksey Ware" has been found from the 12th century on. Brampton is shown on some maps as a separate parish, but the website author has found no record of this. If you are planning a visit:
The village can be accessed off of the A156 trunk road south of Gainsborough. The A156 runs through the village itself.
Torskey is reported in White's Directory as being the Roman station, Tiovulfingacester, built at the entrance of the Fossdyke to secure navigation and as a storehouse for grain.
The old Roman/Saxon town of Torskey is believed to have been south of the present village.
During the Saxon Heptarchy, Torskey was an important site. It is said that Paulinus baptised the Lindisians here in the presence of Edwin, King of Northumbria.
Torskey is listed in the Domesday Book as a "borough town".
It isn't clear who started the Fossdyke Canal between the River Trent and the city of Lincoln. It may have been Roman work or Saxon or even earlier. Some scholars date the work as a Roman project completed in 120AD. In 1121 it was made navigable again enhancing the status of Torksey as a port. The canal became a major route in the Middle Ages for transport of wool from the midland counties. It remained an important waterway link into the middle 1800s, after which much cargo was transported by rail.
The parish had a station on the Retford and Lincoln branch of the Great Central railway.
The BBC tells us: Torksey Hall was built in the middle of the sixteenth century, by the wealthy JERMYN family of Suffolk, some say as a gift to an elder son, or maybe as a convenient resting place on the road to York. Whatever the reason for its building, it was to be a home for less than one hundred years before it was almost totally destroyed. The West front and part of the kitchen range is all that remains of this once impressive country house; yes, house, for it never was a Castle, nor could it have coped particularly well with any sort of attack. Maybe it was so named because of the angular projecting towers still evident today, or the crow stepped gables capping it off, giving it that crenellated 'castley' look. The Hall was constructed along the line of an earlier flood bank, close to the river but not as close as it appears today. In modern times, this area is prone to flooding every winter, the present one included. The hall was destroyed by military action during the English Civil War in the summer of 1645.
In 873 AD, the Danes wintered at Torskey, and were visited there by Burhred, King of Mercia, who purchased from them a short peace. These invaders settled in Lincoln and Stamford, among two of the five principal towns which they occupied, and they were not expelled until the year 941 in the reign of Edmund the Elder.
In World War II, a fuel depot in Torksey supplied most of the fuel for the RAF in Lincolnshire.
The name Torksey is from the Old English Turecr+eg, or "Island of a man called Turec". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village is given as Torchesey. It's Latinised name has been rendered as Torchasium and the Saxon as Turkesige. A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.