Torksey is a village, a township and parish which sits on the edge of the Wolds about 146 miles north of London, seven miles south of Gainsborough and nine miles west of Lincoln. The Fossdyke Canal passes just south of the village and connects to the River Trent, which is the western boundary of the parish. Marton parish is to the north and Fenton parish to the south.
The parish contains three ancient townships: Torksey, Hardwick and Brampton. Hardwick is a district of scattered farms about 3 miles southeast of Torskey village on the east side of the Fossdyke Canal. Brampton is an area one mile northeast of Torskey village, known in the 19th century for its fine pottery and porcelain called "Torskey Ware". "Torksey Ware" has been found from the 12th century on. Brampton is shown on some maps as a separate parish, but the website author has found no record of this. If you are planning a visit:
- The village can be accessed off of the A156 trunk road south of Gainsborough. The A156 runs through the village itself.
- Bus service is provided via route 357 of the Linconshire Road Car's service between Lincoln and Gainsborough.
- There is a Protected Roadside Verge on the north side of the road into the village, maintained by the Lincolnshire Trust. Bird watching is a rewarding activity for visitors in the area.
- A popular pasttime for visitors is fishing in the Trent or playing golf on the local links.
- Some people pass the time by watching the boat traffic pass through Torksey Lock. Richard CROFT has a photograph of Torksey Lock on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2005.
- Maurice PULLIN provides a photograph and history of Torksey Lock on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2002.
- Visit our touring page for more sources.
You can see pictures of Torksey which are provided by:
You can see the
administrative areas in which Torksey has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK830780 (Lat/Lon: 53.292472, -0.75627), Torksey which are provided by: