Note: There are two other Uffingtons in England.
- Stamford Library
- High Street
- Stamford, Lincs, PE9 2BB
- Tele: 01780 763442
The Lincolnshire Family History Society has published surname indexes on fiche or in booklet form for each of these census years under the title "Stamford". These are available by credit card from the Federation of Family History Societies Bookstore with worldwide shipping. Please note that these are SURNAME indexes only, and do not show first names, age or relationships.
|LDS Film/Fiche No.
||LFHS Surname Index
||H.O. 107 / 623
||H.O. 107 / 2094
||R.G. 9 / 2314
||R.G. 10 / 3310
||Booklet or Fiche
||R.G. 11 / 319x
||6097664, 3 fiche
||R.G. 12 / 2554
||Booklet or Fiche
||R.G. 13 / 3022
- A priory of Austin Canons was founded here at Newstead in the reign of Henry III. It was dedicated to Saint Leonard.
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Michael and All Angels. The tower bears the date 1639.
- The church was restored in 1866.
- The church seats 400.
- There is a photograph of St. Michael's Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
- Here is a photo of St. Michael's and All Angels Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- Parish registers exist from 1675, but I.G.I. entries go back to 1562.
- The Family History Library (FHL) in Salt Lake City has the parish register on microfilm covering 1799 to 1863 and the Bishop's Transcript from 1562 to 1858 on another microfilm. Parish register printouts are also available on microfilm from the FHL.
- The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a burial index for the Aveland and Ness Deanery to make your search easier.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Barnack sub-district of the Stamford Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which started in July, 1837.
Uffington is both a village and parish which lies 90 miles north of London and just over two miles east of Stamford on the A16 trunk road. The parish is bounded on the south by Northamptonshire and on the east by Tallington parish. The River Welland flows eastward along the parish's southern border. The parish covers about 3,240 acres and includes the hamlet of Casewick.
If you are planning a visit:
- Casewick Hall was a large mansion, the residence, in 1841, of Sir John TROLLOPE, one of whose ancestors was created a baronet in 1641.
- Uffington Hall is on the north bank of the Welland River. It was the seat of George Augustus Frederick Albemarle BERTIE, Earl of Lindsey. In 1626, Robert BERTIE was created the Earl of Lindsey. Erected in 1830, it was destroyed by fire in December, 1904.
- Richard CROFT also has a photograph of the Uffington House gates on Geo-graph, taken in 2008.
- The National Grid Reference for the village is TF 0607.
- An Ordnance Survey "Explorer 234" map will show detail of 2.5 inches to 1 mile scale.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
The Uffington War Memorial is inside St. Michael's and All Angels Church. A photograph by John SALMON exists on Geo-graph.
John SALMON also has a photograph of the World War II Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in 2011.
- The name Uffington is from the Old English Uffa+ing+tun, or "Uffa's estate". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village is given as Uffintone.
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Ness Wapentake in the South Kesteven district in the parts of Kesteven.
- On 1 April, 1931, the Civil Parish lost about 920 acres. It was reduced by 583 acres to enlarge Baston Civil Parish, 189 acres to enlarge Langtoft Civil Parish and 155 acres to enlarge Market Deeping Civil Parish. All these other parishes were in the Bourne Registration District.
- For today's district governance, contact the South Kesteven District Council.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Stamford Poor Law Union.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Bourne petty session hearings>.
Oddly, 100 years after 1891, the population count is unchanged!
- A Free School was founded here in 1814 by the Earl of Lindsey.
- See our Schools page for more information on researching school records.
[Last updated: 8-December-2012 - Louis R. Mills]