The Primitive Methodists had a chapel here, built in 1859, as did the Wesleyan Methodists. It appears that only the Wesleyan Methodist chapel remains. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
Waddingham is a large parish and village about 164 miles north of London and 8 miles south of Brigg. Snitterby parish lies to the south. The parish covers about 3,750 acres. The parish includes the hamlet of Brandy Wharf on the New River Ancholme's navigation canal.
The Waddingham Beck runs through the village and feeds into the New River Ancholme's naviagation canal. If you are planning a visit:
Stop by the Marquis of Granby public house and ask about its history.
By automobile, take the A15 north from Lincoln, turn east onto the B1205 and stay on that road for about 1/2 mile. The road transects the village.
According to Wikipedia the parish originally had two settlements on either side of Waddingham Beck. Stainton, where the present church is located and Waddingham. Both were listed in the 1086 Domesday Book.
The Railway bypassed this village, but there was a station at Kirton in Lindsey only four miles to the northwest. It was part of the Great Central Railway.
The Marquis of Granby Public House was a popular conversation spot. David WRIGHT has a photograph of the Marquis of Granby on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2006:
These are the names associated with the Marquis of Granby in various directories: