The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes, a baptism and burial index and a 1641/2 Protestation Return for the Haverstoe Deanery to make your search easier.
Kelly's 1900 Directory of Lincolnshire lists the parish, perhaps erroneously, as being in the rural deanery of Grimsby No. 2.
The parish had non-conformist chapels. The Wesleyan Methodists and Primitive Methoodists had chapels prior to 1900. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page. (JB)
Waltham is both a village and a parish located about 150 miles north of London and 3.5 miles south of Grimsby. Humberstone parish lies to the east and Scartho parish is to the north. The parish covers 1,709 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
By automobile, take the A16 trunk road south from Grimsby. Turn off onto the B1203 arterial road and follow that about a mile into Waltham village.
The Waltham Brick Company made bricks from local clay around 1900.
By 1912, the village had a Temperance Hall that could hold 200 people.
Alexander P. KAPP has a photograph of the King's Head Inn on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2008.
The King's Head Public House was renovated in 2011 and modernized. Not everyone is happy with the loss of the old-style Pub, but it needed some work. These are the names associated with the place in various directories:
In 1882, Major Peter Kerslake SEDDON of the 6th Lincolnshire Rifle Volunteers resided in Waltham grove. He was a British Subject, born in Lisbon, Portugal, circa 1836, and who was a timber merchant and farmer in his civilian life.
There is a memorial window in the church to Lieut. Francis Cuthbert HORN. The window was added in 1920. Francis was born in Alford and went to school in Louth.
Here is a photograph of the war memorial (on the right) that was erected in 1920 on Cheapside, at the crossroads of routes to Barnoldby-le-Beck, Brigsley, Holton-le-Clay and Waltham village, so it is visible to all who pass by. The Portland Stone, shining white in the sun, makes it difficult to miss. Contributed by John READMAN: