Welbourn is both a village and a parish 12 miles south of Lincoln and 12 miles northeast of Grantham. The River Brant forms the western border, while Wellingore parish lies to the north and Leadenham to the south. The old Roman Road, Ermine Street, passes through the eastern edge of the parish. The parish covers about 3,200 acres.
The village of Welbourn sits on the Cliff range of hills overlooking the valley of the River Brant. If you are planning a visit:
Take the A607 trunk road, which passes along the east side of the village, north out of Grantham or south out of Lincoln. The A15 trunk road also passes about a mile and a half east of the village.
Welbourn is Old English wella+burna, for "stream fed by a spring". It appeared in the 1086 Domesday Book as Wellebruna. In many records the name is recorded with the silent "e" at the end as in Welbourne. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
A school was built here by the Countess of Buckinghamshire, the Lady of the Manor, prior to 1871 and was supported by a government grant. In that year, it had 90 students. In 1884, the school was enlarged to hold 164 children.
Sir William Robertson High School, Welbourne, Lincoln, LN5 0PA, sports its own amateur radio club (callsign: G4WRS) since 1993. It is part of the STELAR program to promote such activities.