Boyd's Marriage Index holds parish marriages from 1651 to 1750. Pallot's Marriage Index covers 1790 - 1837.
The LFHS has published several marriage indexes for the Graffoe Deanery to make your search easier.
The Wesleyan Methodists also had a small chapel here, which they replaced with a larger facility in 1887. The Reform Methodists also held services in the parish in the mid 19th century. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
David BEVIS has a photograph of the Wesleyan Chapel in High Street on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2012.
Wellingore is both a village and a parish 10 miles south of Lincoln and 10 miles north-west of Sleaford. Welbourn parish lies to the south and Temple Bruer to the east. The parish covers about 3,200 acres.
The village of Wellingore sits on the Cliff range of hills overlooking the valley of the River Brant to the west. It was once a large village and pleasant stop for coach travelers between Grantham and Lincoln. If you are planning a visit:
Take the A607 trunk road, which passes through the village, north out of Grantham or south out of Lincoln. The A15 trunk road also passes about a mile east of the village.
Pick up a copy of the booklet "Days Out in the Heart of Lincolnshire; Stepping Out - Walks (Wellingore and Temple Bruer); North Kesteven Airfield Trail" - available from: Northern Kesteven District Council, Sleaford Tourist Information Centre, Moneys Yard, Sleaford, Lincolnshire NG34 7TW. Tel: 01529 414294.
Wellingore Hall was a large stone mansion, residence of Geoffery Henry NEVILE in 1871, originally built in 1750. Attached to it was a Catholic domestic chapel dedicated to St. Augustine, erected around 1882. The chapel burnt down in 1884 and was rebuilt the following year.
Wellingore Hall was requisitioned during World War II and used as a mess for the RAF crews and as an interrogation centre for the prisoners of war.
Richard CROFT has a photograph of Wellingore Hall on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2007.
Hill House was the seat of Matthew ASHTON in 1842.
The origin of the name Wellingore is uncertain, but is probably Old English wella+inga+ofer, for "promontory of the dwellers by a spring or stream". It appeared in the 1086 Domesday Book as Wellingoure. In some ancient records the name is rendered as Willingore. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]