GENUKI Home page
Lincolnshire Lincolnshire
county page
    Contents Contents     Parish Index Lincolnshire
Towns & Parishes
Neighbours Nearby Places

West Butterwick

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1861 R.G. 9 / 2405
1871 R.G. 10 / 3439
1891 R.G. 12 / 2631
Return to top of page

Church History

St. Mary Church

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

West Butterwick is NOT one of the eight original parishes in the Isle of Axholme in the far northwest corner of Lincolnshire. The parish was formed in 1845 from part of Owston parish. Prior to that, it had been a "township" in Owston parish. The parish lies 12 miles north of Gainsborough. Kelfield is a hamlet, 3 miles south of the village, on the west bank of the Trent River.

The village lies spread along the west bank of the Trent River. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Military Records

For a photograph of the West Butterwick Ferry War Memorial and the list of names on it, see the Roll of Honour site.

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

     Year  Inhabitants
1871 827
1881 718
1891 667
1911 623
1931 641
1951 622
2001 776
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Societies

The local genealogical society is the Isle of Axholme FHS.

Return to top of page

Find help, report problems, or contribute information.

[Last updated: 16-February-2013 - Louis Mills]