The Lincolnshire FHS has a Loan Library service which has the parish registers on microfiche for baptisms from 1812 to 1846.
The village had a Catholic chapel, Our Lady of the Holy Souls (some sources show Our Lady of Mercy), served from Grantham. The Primitive Methodists had a small chapel built here in 1850, which became the Catholic chapel prior to 1900. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
Westborough is a civil parish and village just one mile east of Long Bennington and about 6 miles SW of Newark on Trent. The town of Grantham is 7 miles away to the SW. The parish covers about 2,000 acres.
The small village of Westborough sits on the northern bank of the River Witham as it flows toward Long Bennington. If you are planning a visit:
Take the A1 motorway north out of Grantham. Turn east off the motorway at Long Bennington.
The name Westborough is from Old English west+burh, for "western stronghold". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village name is given as Westburg. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]