Whaplode is both a village and parish about 100 miles north of London between the towns of Spalding and Holbeach. The parish is a long, narrow affair, running north to south, and incorporates the hamlets of Whaplode Drove, Dowsdale, Sheppeau Stow, Postland and most of Saracens Head. Moulton parish is neighbor to the west and Holbeach parish to the east. The area of 10,200 acres is flat fenland, drained by many small canals.
Mick CLAXTON tells us (2009): "Whaplode Drove is a small village between Crowland and Holbeach. It was orinally part of the parish of Whaplode but became a parish in it's own right in the early 1900's." The web page author could only find an ecclesiastical parish of Whaplode Drove, created in 1902, with the church of St. John the Baptist. The Civil Parish appears to remain just "Whaplode".
The Whaplode River runs through the village on its way to join the River Welland. If you are planning a visit:
- By automobile, take the A151 road, which runs through the village itself.
- If travelling by rail, it is recommended that one heads to Peterborough as the service is more frequent. Then take a slow train to Spalding. From there, it is only a short walk across the supermarket's car park to catch a bus (No. 505 - a green bus) which goes to Kings Lynn (they run about every half hour). This goes through the village of Whaplode en route. It takes about 15 minutes on the bus from Spalding. [Miranda Apps, 2007]
- You can take a short, self-guided walk around the village following a unique, modern public sculpture trail. Pick up the leaflet with map available in the village from St. Mary's Church. In St. Mary's, guides are available some weekend afternoons to explain the unusual architecture of this fine church, including fragments of Saxon work and an effigy of 17th century knight in full armour.
- See our touring page for area resources.
You can see pictures of Whaplode which are provided by:
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF323239 (Lat/Lon: 52.796422, -0.039203), Whaplode which are provided by: