- Whitton was in the Winterton sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||H.O. 107 / 648
||H.O. 107 / 2117
||R.G. 9 / 2400
||R.G. 10 / 3432
||R.G. 11 / 3287
||R.G. 12 / 2627 & 2628
||R.G. 13 / 3104
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist.
- The church was partially rebuilt in 1892.
- The church tower was restored in 1897.
- The church seats 200.
- A brief history and photographs of the church is at:
- There is a photograph of St. John the Baptist's Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
- A brief history and some photographs of the church is at: Tom SMITH's website.
- Tony KIRWAN has a good view of the church tower in a photograph, taken in 2008.
- Here is a photo of Saint John's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- Parish register entries start in 1562. (One source gives a start year of 1546, but claims that the early years are "in a bad state and illegible".)
- The LFHS has published several marriage indexes for the Manlake Deanery to make your search easier.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Winterton sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which started in July, 1837.
This parish is one of the two northern-most of Lincolnshire - any further north and you are standing in the River Humber. Bordered on the south by West Halton parish and on the east side by Winteringham parish. The parish is 3 miles below Trent Falls and contains the hamlet of Bishopthorpe, just south of Whitton village.
Long a ferry crossing on the Humber, Whitton is far enough upstream that most of the river can be crossed on foot at low tide, except for the dedged channel. If you are planning a visit:
- From Scunthorpe, take the A1077 north almost to Winteringham and turn left about a mile before that village to West Halton. From West Halton, Whitton is a mile north.
- See our touring page for visitor services.
- The Romans are believed to have built a causeway partway across the River Humber here as a partial ford.
- In 1868 a 200-yard-long pier was opened on the Humber providing daily berthing for steam packets and fishing boats.
- The railway came to Whitton in 1910, but service was discontinued a few decades later.
- A very good history of Whitton (by Tom Smith) can be found at: Tom SMITH's website.
- A Reading Room and Library were established in 1884.
- The national grid reference is SE 9024.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey Explorer map, which has a scale of 2.5 inches to the mile.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
- David WRIGHT has a photograph of the Roll of Honour inside the parish church in a photograph, taken in 2011.
- Steve PARKER has captured a bit of World War II history in a photograph, taken in 2005.
- The name Whitton is from the Old English hwitan+eg, or "White Island". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village name is little-changed, given as Witenai.
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
- This place was an ancient parish in county Lincoln and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Manley Wapentake in the Glanford district in the parts of Lindsey.
- District governance is provided by the North Lincolnshire Council.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Glanford Brigg Poor Law Union.
- In 1882, Mrs. BORDS left the interest on £50 to purchase flannel for old poor widows not on parochial relief.
- Nathaniel EASTON bestowed in 1886 the interest on £150 to distribute to the poor of the parish annually.
- Bastardy cases would be heard at the Winterton petty session hearings.
- A National School was built here in 1864.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of the National School in a photograph, taken in 2008. The school building now functions as the village hall.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information.
[Last updated: 30-January-2013 - Louis R. Mills]