Wispington is both a small village and a parish about 2 miles west of the River Bain and 4 miles northwest of Horncastle. The parish itself is bounded on the north by Baumber parish, to the west by Waddingworth and Bucknall, on the south by Horsington parish and on the east by Edlington parish. The parish is on a hill in the west part of The Wolds and covers almost 1,200 acres.
Wispington village is small and lies mostly on the west side of the winding road. If you are planning a visit:
Take the B1190 secondary road, which runs between Lincoln and Horncastle. About a half mile west of Thimbleby, just west of Horncastle, turn north and follow the signs to Wispington.
The village is first recorded as Wispinctune in the 1086 Domesday Book, most likely from the Old English wisp+ing+tun or "farmstead where brushwood grows," or alternatively "farmstead belonging to a man named Wispa". A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.