This village and parish, also known as "Witham le Hill", lies 4.25 miles southwest of Bourne and 7 miles north of Stamford. It is bordered on the east by Thurlby parish. The parish covers about 2,150 acres and includes the village of Manthorpe. The East Glen River flows southward through the parish.
The village sits on a rise. If you are planning a visit:
From the A1 trunk road, take the A6121 north to Witham on the Hill.
Bob HARVEY has a photograph of the village stocks on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2006.
The name comes from the Old English wiht+ham for "homestead in a bend" and appeared in the 1086 Domesday Book as witham. ["A Dictionary of English Place-Names," A. D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1991]
The parish appears in some old records under the Latin name "Witham Super Montem".
A Church of England school (later "Public Elementary School") was built here in 1847. That school was converted to a reading room and parish meeting room by 1900. That building is now the church hall. The old school was rebuilt in 1896 to hold up to 90 children.