The parish church was originally dedicated to Saint Mary.
The parish church was burned down by Parliamentary forces in 1660 during the Civil War. Services were afterward held in the chapel of St. Mary, a small building in the middle of the village. Burials still took place in the old churchyard.
The old churchyard came to be known as "Woolsthorpe Upper Cemetery."
The chapel of St. Mary was taken down in 1793 (some sources say 1787) and a church of the same name erected on the site.
The present Anglican parish church was built in 1845-7 of stone and dedicated to Saint James.
The tower was completed in 1893 as a memorial to the father and brother of the Duke of Rutland.
The church seats 400.
There is a photograph of St. James's Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
The parish church was burned down by Parliamentary forces in 1660 during the Civil War. That is why there are no parish register entries prior to 1661, only the Bishop's Transcripts survive back to 1562.
The Lincolnshire Family History Society has several indexes available for the Grantham Deanery to aid in your research.
The parish registers covering 1661 to 1952 and the Bishop's Transcripts from 1562 to 1837 are on file at the Lincolnshire Archives. The Family History Library (FHL) in Salt Lake City also has the parish register and the Bishop's Transcripts for these same periods on microfilm.
Phillimore has included Woolsthorpe marriages in "Lincolnshire Parish Registers, Marriages," Vol. 11, on pages 1 - 18, covering the period of 1562 - 1837. The call number for this at the FHL is 942.53 K29L v. 11 in the British Book section.
The Wesleyan Methodists built a small chapel here. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
This village and parish lie south-west of Barrowby, six miles west of Grantham and on the border of Leicestershire, overlooking Belvoir Castle. It is just west of the A1 Motorway and north of the A607 trunk road. The parish covers about 1,950 acres.
Woolsthorpe village lies on the eastern bank of the River Devon, here just a small stream flowing north to eventually join the River Trent near Newark. If you are planning a visit:
The village name is Wulfstansthorpe in Old English. It was rendered as Ulestanestorp in the 1086 Domesday Book (English had no "W" then). It often appears as Woolsthorp, without the final "e". [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]