The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Pancras.
The church here has a long and interesting history. Tradition has it that the church was burned down along with the rest of the village during the Black Death plague circa 1348. The new village was built to the north, but the church was rebuilt in the same location as before.
The Family History Library in Salt Lake City has the parish register on microfilm covering 1573 to 1968 and the Bishop's Transcript from 1599 to 1851 on another microfilm. The source is also available at the Lincolnshire Archives.
Wroot is the western-most parish in Lincolnshire, about 5 miles west of Epworth and ten miles north-west of Gainsborough where the three ancient counties of York, Nottingham and Lincolnshire meet. The old bed of the River Torne formed part of the north and western parish boundary. Haxey parish lies to the south-east. The parish covers about 3,250 acres of flat moorland.
If you are planning a visit:
Watch for the SIGN! Trevor WILLIS has a photograph of the 1870 Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in 2008.
Near the heart of the village is the Village Hall. J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2014. Stop in and ask for a schedule of forth-coming events.
The name Wroot is from the Old English Wrot, meaning "snout-like spur of land." It is first recorded in 1157 as Wroth. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]