- Wroot was part of the Epworth sub-district of the Thorne Registration District (which is mostly in Yorkshire).
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
The Lincolnshire Family History Society has published surname indexes on fiche or in booklet form for each of these census years under the title "Gainsborough with Isle of Axholme". These are available by credit card from the Federation of Family History Societies Bookstore with worldwide shipping. Please note that these are SURNAME indexes only, and do not show first names, age or relationships.
||LDS Film/Fiche No.
||LFHS Surname Index
||H.O. 107 / 650
||H.O. 107 / 211x
||R.G. 9 / 3523
||R.G. 10 / 34xx
||R.G. 11 / 329x
||6098978, 2 fiche
||R.G. 12 / 3868
||Booklet or Fiche
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Pancras.
- The church here has a long and interesting history. Tradition has it that the church was burned down along with the rest of the village during the Black Death plague circa 1348. The new village was built to the north, but the church was rebuilt in the same location as before.
- The church was rebuilt in 1794 and again in 1879.
- There is a photograph of the church at the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photographs web site.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Pancras Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2012.
- Here is a photo of St. Pancras Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- The Family History Library in Salt Lake City has the parish register on microfilm covering 1573 to 1968 and the Bishop's Transcript from 1599 to 1851 on another microfilm. The source is also available at the Lincolnshire
- Check the Isle of Axholme Deanery to see which LFHS marriage indexes exist.
- The village also boasted chapels for the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists in the 1800s. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page. (JB)
- Michael PATTERSON has a photograph of the 1870 Wesleyan chapel on Geo-graph, taken in 2006.
- Wendy PARKINSON has a photograph of the 1870 John Wesley Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in 2007.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Epworth sub-district of the Thorne Registration District (which is mostly in Yorkshire).
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Wroot is the western-most parish in Lincolnshire, about 5 miles west of Epworth and ten miles north-west of Gainsborough where the three ancient counties of York, Nottingham and Lincolnshire meet. The old bed of the River Torne formed part of the north and western parish boundary. Haxey parish lies to the south-east. The parish covers about 3,250 acres of flat moorland.
If you are planning a visit:
- Watch for the SIGN! Trevor WILLIS has a photograph of the 1870 Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in 2008.
- Near the heart of the village is the Village Hall. J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2014. Stop in and ask for a schedule of forth-coming events.
- See our touring page for visitor services.
- Wroot is one of the eight original parishes in the Isle of Axholme in the far northwest corner of Lincolnshire.
- See the histories and descriptions of
Wroot provided by the Isle of Axholme FHS.
- The national grid reference is SE 7103.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey Explorer map, which has a scale of 2.5 inches to the mile.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
There is a photograph of the War Memorial at the New Wroot Photographs site.
Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of the 1870 War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in 2011.
- The name Wroot is from the Old English Wrot, meaning "snout-like spur of land." It is first recorded in 1157 as Wroth.
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
- The surname WROOT is considered "peculiar" to Lincolnshire, meaning that it is thought to have originated here.
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincolnshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Manley Wapentake in the Gainsborough district (sometimes given as West Lindsey division) in the parts of Lindsey.
- In the 1972 redistricting, the parish became part of the Boothferry District, which is now in the County of Humberside (formerly Lindsey, Lincolnshire).
- District governance is currently provided by the North Lincolnshire Council.
- After the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, the parish became part of the Thorne Poor Law Union.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Epworth petty session hearings.
- A school was built here in 1836.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
[Last updated: 17-March-2015 - Louis R. Mills]