The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Catherine.
Prior to 1850, parish residents attended the Anglican church at Harlaxton.
The church was built of brick in 1850.
The church was restored in 1899.
The church seats 80.
Hungerton was anciently a separate parish, but declining population caused it to be merged with Wyville. It once had a church, but that went to decay several centuries before the new one was built at Wyville. Portions of its foundations were found in 1855, but stone coffins and skeletons had been found in the area for centuries.
Wyville also had an ancient church, also the source of stone coffins and skeletal remains.
I have two dates for parish registers. Kelly's Directories indicate that they exist from 1850, when the new church was erected. Phillimore shows that registes for 1817 - 1847 have been deposited at the Lincolnshire Record Office. Both may be technically correct if Phillimore is refering to registers from the Harlaxton church.
The LFHS has published several marriage and burial indexes for the Grantham Deanery to make your search easier. In the early 1900's, the parish was in the South Grantham Deanery. Today it is part of the Harlaxton group of Grantham Deanery.
Wyville is both a village and a parish. The parish is about five miles south-west of Grantham. The parish itself is bounded on the north by Denton and Harlaxton parishes, to the east by Great Ponton, on the south by North and South Stoke, and on the east by Kerrial parish in Leicestershire. A small rivulet runs through the parish, eventually joining the River Witham. The parish covers about 1,670 acres.
The village of Wyville is a small hamlet - actually more like a collection of farm buildings. Hungerton is a small hamlet set about a half mile north-west of Wyville. Hungerton has been the "population" centre of the parish in recent centuries. If you are planning a visit:
It is probably easiest, from Grantham, to take the A607 southwest off the A1 Motorway for about two miles. Turn south at Harlaxton.
Roman coins have been found in the parish, although there is no mention of the villages in any Roman sources. One coin is a very perfect coin of Constantine. The Romans apparently smelted iron at Hungerton.
An entry in the Great Gonerby parish register tells us that on 7 August 1846, a bad storm had hit the county. There were lightening fires and hailstones one and a half inches wide. On the next day, appears a burial entry for: Stephen WALLBANK, abode Stroxton, age 19, (note in margin) "Killed by lightening with two others in the parish of Wyville."