A Bridewell was any prison or gaol. The term comes from the name for "Bridewell Prison".
A Borstal was a name for a youth prison. Sir Evelyn Ruggles-Brise (1857-1935), a prison commissioner, introduced the plan for the first prison for young men only at Borstal Prison in a village called Borstal, near Rochester in north Kent.
There was a large House of Correction in Kirton in Lindsey, which is between Brigg and Gainsborough. Locals called it "Bridewell", after the famous prison in London, named for St. Bride's (St. Bridget) holy well. A "bridewell" is any reformatory or prison.
Staff in 1842: John Lee is the gaol governor, Ann EVERATT is matron and Rev. John R. T. RICHTER is chaplain.
By 1872, this facility was closed and its function transfered to the new gaol in Lincoln.
There was a "House of Correction" in Spalding from 1826 to 1884, but no records are known. Officially known as "Her Majesty's Prison for the parts of Holland and Kesteven," it adjoined the Sessions House off the Sheep Market. It was improved in 1848-52 and enlarged to have 95 separate cells, airing yards and workshops.
Staff in 1842: Mr. Thomas KING, governor.
Staff in 1872: Mr. Henry and Mrs. Ann BATES are governor and matron, the Rev. J. LEWIS is chaplain.
Staff in 1882: James and Emma HIGGINS (both born Huntingdon) are governor and matron, the Rev. Michael Joseph SISSON (born in Lincoln circa 1845) is chaplain and Dr. Marten PERRY, MD, (born in Aston, Oxford, circa 1826) is surgeon.