"CHISWICK, a parish in the Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, in the county of Middlesex, forming a sort of peninsula, nearly surrounded by the river Thames, 7 miles by road, and 5 miles by the South-Western railway, from London. " (There is more of this description).
"TURNHAM GREEN, a village in the parish of Chiswick, county Middlesex, 7 miles S.W. of St. Paul's, and 4 from Richmond. It is situated near the river Thames, on the great western road. On the S. side of the Green are the Horticultural Society's Gardens. The Earl of Essex encamped here in 1642, and Waller in 1643. There are traces of the old Roman way from Staines, and many Roman coins were discovered here in 1731. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is named Christchurch. The Wesleyans have a chapel."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.