"HARLINGTON, (or Arlington) a parish in the hundred of Elthorne, county Middlesex, 5½ miles N.E. of Staines, and 2¼ S.E. of West Drayton stations on the Great Western railway. It is mentioned in Domesday Survey as Herdintone. The manor passed from the Lovells to Lord Bolingbroke, and from him to the Berkeleys. There still remains a wing of Dawley House, once the seat of Lord Bolingbroke, but the rest of the mansion has been pulled down. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in market gardening. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of London, value 2478. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is an ancient stone structure. It has a Norman doorway, and contains two brasses anterior to 1500, also monuments of the Lovells, the counts de Salis, and Bennet, Lord Ossulstone. In the churchyard is a yew tree measuring 20 feet in girth, and supposed to have been above 50 feet in height. There is a Baptist chapel. The parochial charities produce £7 0 per annum, of which £12 goes to Lord Ossulstone's school. Harlington Lodge is the principal seat.
"DAWLEY, a hamlet in the parish of Harlington and county of Middlesex, 3 miles S.E. of Uxbridge. It is called Dallega in Domesday, and was the seat of the Bonnets and of Lord Bolingbroke.[In 2003, name kept as Dawley Parade and Dawley Road.]"
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.