"LALEHAM, a parish in the hundred of Spelthorne, county Middlesex, 2 miles N. of Chertsey, its post town, and 2 S. of Staines. The village, which is small, is situated at the ferry on the river Thames. It is mentioned in Domesday as Leleham, and was held by the Earl of Mortaigne. The surface, which is flat and marshy, is intersected by a branch of the river Coln. The greater portion of the land is arable, and subject to occasional inundation. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London, value £110. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a square tower of brick containing a clock and three bells. The parochial charities produce about £14 per annum. Laleham House, the seat of Sir B. Hartwell, Bart., and Laleham Cottage, of Earl Lucan, are the principal residences. In the grounds of the latter are two beautiful pillars of verde antique brought from Italy. On the common are traces of two ancient camps."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.