"SOUTH MIMMS, a parish in the hundred of Edmonton, county Middlesex, 4 miles N.W. of Chipping Barnet, its post town, and 2 W. of the Potter's Bar station on the Great Northern railway. The parish, which is of large extent, is situated near Gladsmoor Heath and Enfield Chase, including the village of Potter's Bar, and part of Barnet." (There is more of this description).
"CHRIST CHURCH BARNET, a chapelry and considerable village in the parish of South Mimms, in the county of Middlesex. Barnet is its post town. The living is a perpetual curacy in the gift of the Bishop of London.
"GANWICK CORNER, a hamlet in the parish of South Mimms and hundred of Edmonton, county Middlesex, 2 miles N.E. of Barnet."
"POTTERS BAR, a hamlet in the parishes of Hadley and South Mimms, county Middlesex, 4 miles N.E. of Barnet, and 3 N. by E. of Chipping-Barnet. It is a station on the Great Northern railway. The living is a perpetual car.* in the diocese of London, value £170, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. John, was built at the expense of G. Byng, Esq."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.