"TOTTENHAM, a parish and populous suburban district of London, hundred of Edmonton, county Middlesex, 5 miles N.E. of St. Paul's, London. The Great Eastern railway has two stations in the eastern division of the parish, one at Tottenham Hale, and the other at Northumberland Park; the Great Northern has a station in the western division at Wood Green. It is situated on the western bank of the river Lea, which separates it from the county of Essex. The parish, which is about 2½ miles in length and 16 in circumference, comprises High Cross, Lower, Middle, and Wood Green wards. " (There is more of this description).
"MOUNT PLEASANT, a hamlet in the parish of Tottenham, hundred of Edmonton, county Middlesex, 1½ mile S.W. of Tottenham Cross, and 5½ miles N. of St. Paul's, London. It is situated near Crouch End and Wood Green. The New River and the Great Northern railway pass in the vicinity. [Mount Pleasant Road in Tottenham runs North South from Philip Lane to Lordship Lane. This is not the Mount Pleasant postal sorting office, which is in Clerkenwell near Grid Reference TQ312824.]"
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.