"WILLESDEN, a parish and suburb of the metropolis, in the Kensington division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 5 miles N.W. of London, or 3 from Hyde Park Corner. " (There is more of this description).
"CHURCH END (WILLESDEN), a village in the parish of Willesden, in the county of Middlesex, 4 miles N.E. of London."
"KILBURN, a hamlet and suburban district in the parishes of Hampstead and Willesden, Holborn division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county Middlesex, 2½ miles from Hyde Park corner, and 4 N.W. of St. Paul's, London. It has stations on the West London, and London and North-Western railways. The Great Western railway and the Grand Junction canal also pass near the village. It was anciently called Cuneburn, from its situation at the head of a bourne or brook which feeds the Serpentine; and was the site of a Benedictine nunnery, founded on the site of Godwyn's hermitage, as a cell to Westminster Abbey. The revenues of the priory at the Dissolution were estimated at £121 16s. The village, which is situated on the ancient Watling Street and on the road to Edgware, contains some good houses. It has recently been greatly extended by the erection of new streets and shops, and has at the N.E. end an extensive ale and porter brewery. There is a medicinal spring near the site of the priory, called Kilburn Wells, formerly of much note, the water of which possesses aperient, properties. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of London. The church has a turret and cupola. There are National and infant schools. Goldsmith's cottage, in the London road, in which he wrote the "Vicar of Wakefield" and the "Deserted Village,"was pulled down in 1837."
Description(s) from "The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland" (1868), transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003; intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.