"CORBRIDGE is a parish, comprising the townships of Aydon, Aydon Castle, Clarewood, Corbridge, Dilston, Halton, Halton Shields, Thornborough, Whittington Great, and Whittington Little. It is about eight miles in length from north to south, but its average breadth does not exeeed two and a half miles, and comprises an area of 13,130 acres. Its population in 1801, was 1,744; in 1811, 1,979; in 1821, 2,037; in 1831, 2,091; in 1841, 2,103; and in 1851, 2,163 souls. The whole of this district is in an excellent state of cultivation, and contains great quantities of lead, coal, and lime. There are also several large plantations in various parts of the parish, the property of the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].