Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Northumberland:- Military Records
- An index to the Roll of Honour of civilians killed by enemy action in the UK during World War II - listing of 3736 entries relating to Northumberland, Durham and Yorkshire.
- Names of 151 recipients of the Victoria Cross who are associated with North-East England.
- The Armstrong Memorial Project. An attempt to document the military service of the 223 men recorded on the Armstrong College WW1 War Memorial. Armstrong WWI Memorial - Digital Memory Book.
- The North East War Memorials Project provides transcriptions, images and information on war memorials in the region.
- Transcriptions of various war memorials in the region can be found on the Ancestral Indexes website.
- NE Diary 1939-1945 provides a detailed day by day account of WW2 incidents in Northumberland, Co Durham, and the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire. There is also a large amount of background information on everything from poison gases to popular songs.
- Rowlands Gill and the North-East 1939-1945 provides a comprehensive look at all aspects of life in the area during WW2, with particular emphasis on the village of Rowlands Gill. (Originally written for schools in the Rowlands Gill area.)
- A List of Casualties resulting from the worst wartime disaster in the region - the bombing of a public air-raid shelter in the basement of Wilkinson's Lemonade Factory in North Shields which resulted in the deaths of 103 people. This incident is also the subject of "Westall's War" - a very well researched and well presented account.
- The Royal Northumberland Fusiliers Museum is located in Alnwick Castle.