"Askham Parish, in the liberty of Southwell and Scrooby, is a neat village, on a pleasant declivity, three miles north of Tuxford. It extends westward to the Idle, includes the hamlet of Rockley, and contains 398 inhabitants and 1,440 acres of good clay land, upwards of 20 acres of which are in hop yards. The Archbishop of York is lord of the manor, which is partly copyhold and partly leasehold for the term of three lives. The Archbishop holds a court once a year.
The church is a small gothic edifice, with a tower and three bells, and was re-pewed in 1849. The living, a perpetual curacy, is a member of the vicarage of East Drayton, being in the patronage and enjoyment of the incumbent of East Drayton. The great tithes are in the appropriation of the Dean and Chapter of York, and were commuted in 1844 for the sum of £200, and the vicarial for £70 5s 0d."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1841||H.O. 107 / 849|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2417|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2642|
This village and parish lie 139 miles north of London, about 2.5 miles north-west of Tuxford and about 5.5 miles south-east of Retford. The parish covers about 1,274 acres and includes the hamlet of Rockley.
If you are planning a visit to the village:
Year Population 1801 220 1851 401 1861 287 1871 290 1881 219 1891 219 1901 240 1911 250 1921 236 1931 217
Find help, report problems, or contribute information