"Averham is a small rural village and parish, near the Trent, 3 miles west by north of Newark. Its parish includes the township of Staythorpe, which together contain 267 inhabitants and 2,643 acres of land. The large island formed by the two branches of the Trent navigation, opposite to Newark, is in the manor of Averham, or Aram, which has long been possessed by the Suttons of Kelham, who formerly had a park and seat here. John Henry Manners Sutton Esq. M.P. is lord of the manor, sole owner of Averham, and patron of the church, dedicated to St Michael, a rectory with Kelham annexed. The living, valued in the King's books at £20, now £1,435, is in the incumbency of the Rev. William Manners Sutton M.A. The church is a neat structure, with a tower and six bells. The rectory is a large, handsome mansion, which was rebuilt in 1839. The tithe was commuted in 1838 for £1,274, including Kelham. A new school was erected by J.H.M. Sutton Esq. in 1850 at a cost of £300, for the use of the parish. It is a neat brick building. Averham Park contains two farms, 2 miles north of the village."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2472|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2708|
This parish and village lie about 127 miles north of London, 3 miles west of Newark-on-Trent and 3 miles north-east of Fiskerton. Upton parish is to the west and Kelham parish to the north. The parish covers about 2,585 acres and includes the two townships of Averham and Staythorpe.
The River Trent passes through the parish and along the east edge of the village. If you are planning a visit:
There are two Commonwealth War Graves in St. Michael's churchyard, one from each World War:
Tom COURTNEY has a photograph of Sergeant HATTON's gravestone on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2005.
Year Averham Staythorpe 1801 166 64 1851 203 64 1861 237 62 1881 164 44 1901 130 56
Find help, report problems, or contribute information