GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby Places

Babworth

"Babworth Parish comprises the hamlets of Babworth, Morton and Ranby, and several scattered dwellings. It lies betwixt the Ryton rivulet and the Great North Road, and extends northwards from Ordsall to Barnby Moor, and contains 608 inhabitants and 6,030a 3r 20p of excellent forest land, all enclosed and tithable, and belonging to several freeholders, who each have the manorial rights of their own property. Babworth lordship contains 1,184 acres, and is all in the occupancy of the owner, Henry B. Simpson Esq. Morton has 3,614 acres, belonging to the Duke of Newcastle, the Hon. and Rev. J.L. Saville, William Mason, and John and William Walker Esqrs., and Ranby has 1,222 acres, of which the Ladies Clinton and Henry Champion Esq. are the principal proprietors.

Babworth is a pleasant village, on the Worksop Road, 1½ miles west of Retford. Its vicinity contains some of the finest scenery in this part of the county, and its beauty has been greatly enhanced by its present proprietor, Henry Bridgman Simpson Esq. of Babworth Hall, a very handsome mansion, situated on a gentle declivity, in the midst of beautiful pleasure grounds and thriving plantations. The grounds are ornamented with a fine sheet of water, a Swiss cottage, and other picturesque objects. The church, dedicated to All Saints, stands on an eminence near the Hall. It is a neat, Gothic edifice, with a tower and three bells, and contains several marble monuments of a modern date."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 849
1861 R.G. 9 / 2416
1891 R.G. 12 / 2641
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Babworth is a township and a large parish that sits in the north of Nottinghamshire, about 1.5 miles west of Retford and 7 miles north-east of Worksop. The parish covers over 6,300 acres and includes the hamlets of Ranby, Great Morton, Little Morton and Morton Grange.

If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Politics and Government

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Population
1801 297
1851 608
1871 726
1881 731
1891 753
1901 760
1911 752
1921 678
1931 670
2001 1,329
Return to top of page

Valid HTML 4.01

[Last updated: 14-February-2014 - Louis R. Mills]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.