"Basford Parish lies principally in the vale of the Leen, where that river is augmented by two small streams called the Day Brook and White Moor Spring; but its eastern extremity rises to the lofty hills of Mapperley. It extends from one and a half to three miles north of Nottingham, and comprises 2270 acres of land, of which 1158 acres were enclosed in 1792, and several large tracts have since been covered with thriving plantations. It has geneally a rich sandy soil, and lets for upwards of 30s per acre; but some small allotments are let for more than double that amount. It was anciently divided into several manors, and held of the fee of William Peverel, whose Honour Court was formerly held here. The Duke of Newcastle is lord of the manor, and owner of a large portion of the land. At Scottom, near the Leen, are three covered springs and a large reservoir, formed in 1827, for the purpose of supplying the Nottingham Old Water Works. It is to the lace and hosiery manufacturers and its contiguity to Nottingham, that Basford Parish owes its present wealth and consequence; and from which causes its population has increased during the last fifty years, from 2,124 to 10,093 souls in 1851; in consequence of which, several new villages have been built in the parish, which now contains eight bleaching establishments, a great number of stocking frames, and bobbin net machines."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of one of the Libraries on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2008.
|1841||H.O. 107 / 856|
|1851||H.O. 107 / 2127|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2438, 2439 and 2440|
|1871||R.G. 10 / 3485 & 3486|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2668|
|1901||R.G. 13 / 3161 & 3189|
Church/Denomination/Founded Register Start St. Leodegarius (Anglican) Baptisms
St. Aidan (Anglican) c.1905 - - St. Augustine, New Basford (Anglican) c.1877 Baptisms
St. John, Carrington (Anglican) 1843 Baptisms
Pepper Street, New Basford (Anglican) 1848 - - Methodist New Connexion, Basford - - General Baptist, Basford pre-1800 Births 1801 High Street Wesleyan Methodist, Old Basford 1805 Marriages 1900 Rawson Street Primitive Methodist, Old Basford Marriages 1934 Chapel Street General Baptist, New Basford, 1827 - - Basford Road Wesleyan Methodist, Basford 1839 Baptisms
General Baptist, Carrington 1849 - - Chapel Street Wesleyan Methodist, Carrington Baptisms 1839 Wesleyan Methodist, Sherwood pre-1840 - - Pepper Street Scotch Baptist, Basford. 1826 Membership 1877 Mount Street Primitive Methodist, New Basford 1848 - - Mount Street Wesleyan Methodist, New Basford 1825 Baptisms 1830 Wesleyan Methodist, New Basford 1835 - - Park Lane United Methodist Reform, Basford Baptisms
Percy Street Methodist, Basford Baptisms 1936 St. John's Methodist, Basford Baptisms 1914 High Street General Baptist, Old Basford c.1857 - - Nottingham Road General Baptist, Basford c.1861 Membership 1861 Arnold Street Baptist, Old Basford Marriages 1966
There is a photograph of the Queensberry Street Baptist Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2008.
This village and parish lie in a valley of the River Leen on the about 1.5 miles northwest from Nottingham city centre. The parish covers 1,158 acres.
If you are planning a visit:
Year 1801 1811 1821 1831 1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891 1901 Basford 2,124 2.940 3,599 6.325 8,688 10,093 12,185 13,038 18,137 22,781 27,119
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.