GENUKI Home page
Nottinghamshire Nottinghamshire   Contents Contents   Nottinghamshire
Towns & Parishes
Neighbours Nearby Places

Beeston

"Beeston, four miles west south west of Nottingham, is a populous village and parish, upon the road to Ashby-de-la-Zouch, and near the Trent Canal, having the Nottingham and Derby railway crossing the parish, and a station. It comprises 3,016 inhabitants, and 1,440 acres of land, of the rateable value of £4,570 5s. P.S. Broughton Esq., Tunstall Hall, is lord of the manor and impropriator, but Lord Middleton, Rev. John Wolley, T. Fellows Esq., and others, have also estates here. An extensive silk mill has been erected on the site of the old one burnt down in the Reform Riots of 1831, which employs 250 workmen. There are also in the village many stocking frames and lace machines. A village library was established in 1837 by shares and contributions of fourpence per month, and it now contains 800 volumes, and is conducted by a committee of 12 gentlemen. The feast is on the Sunday before St Peter, or on that day if it falls on a Sunday.
The ancient church, dedicated to St John the Baptist, and appropriated to Lenton Priory, was taken down in 1842, and a handsome structure, dedicated to St Peter, was erected on its site in 1844 at a cost of upwards of £3,500. It is in the early English style, with a beautiful tower 74 feet high, which is to contain six bells,and was consecrated on Thursday, September 5th 1844, by the Bishop of Lincoln. The interior is neatly fitted up with open seats, and will accommodate about 800 people. The Duke of Devonshire is the patron, and the Rev. John Wolley M.A. is the incumbent. The vicarage has 32a 3r 23p os ancient glebe, besides an allotment of 75 a 2r 23p apportioned to it at the enclosure in 1809. The Wesleyans, Kilhamites, Primitive Methodists and Baptists have eacha chapel in the village."
[White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 856
1851 H.O. 107 / 2127
1861 R.G. 9 / 2440
1871 R.G. 10 / 3488
1891 R.G. 12 / 2670
Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

The town lies 123 miles north of London and 4 miles west-south-west of Nottingham. The River Trent runs through the parish, just south of the town. The parish covers about 1,600 acres.

The village is normally regarded as a suburb of Nottingham. If you are planning a visit:

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

History

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Military History

Return to top of page

Politics and Governance

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 948
1831 2,530
1851 3,016
1871 3,134
1881 4,479
Return to top of page

Schools

Return to top of page

Valid HTML 4.01

[Last updated: 30-November-2014 - Louis R. Mills]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.