"Bleasby is a pleasant but straggling village and parish, on the north bank of the Trent, 4 miles south of Southwell. Its parish, which is all in the liberty of Southwell and Scrooby, comprises the neighbouring hamlets of Goverton, Gibsmere and Notown, and contains 361 inhabitants and 1,468 acres of land, which was enclosed in 1777, when the tithes were exonerated by an allotment of 57a 2r 24p to the vicar, and 20a 1r 10p to the Chapter of Southwell.
The principal landowners are the Archbishop of York, Sir Richard Sutton, bart., the vicar of Strelley, R. K. Kelham Esq., the Trustees of Retford School, Mr. W. Alderidge, Mr. S. Potter, Mr. T. Hind, Mr. Francis Brown and Mr. J. Marriott, the former is lord of the manor. The church is a small structure, dedicated to St Mary, and its vicarage is valued in the King's books at £4, now £107. The Chapter of Southwell are the patrons, and the Rev. John William Marsh is the incumbent, and resides at the vicarage house; a neat mansion near the church, erected in 1843. The curacy of Morton was consolidated with the vicarage of Bleasby in 1841. Bleasby Hall is a neat mansion, the property and residence of Robert Kelham Kelham Esq."
[WHITE's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
|1841||H.O. 107 / 865|
|1861||R.G. 9 / 2472|
|1891||R.G. 12 / 2708|
Bleasby is both a parish and a village on the north bank of the River Trent. The parish lies 141 miles north of London, 8 miles south-west of Newark, 1 mile north-east of Thurgarton and 4 miles south of Southwell. The parish covers 1,550 acres and includes the hamlets of Goverton and Gibsmere.
The River Trent used to be divided in two near the village and the island crated was called "The Knabs". The river has since been re-aligned and the low-lying lands used for reservoirs. If you are planning a visit:
Year Inhabitants 1801 215 1811 269 1821 290 1831 324 1841 353 1851 358 1861 332 1871 279 1881 296 1891 282 1901 287 1911 278 1921 288 1931 301 1951 348 1961 434
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.