"This extensive parish, which is partly in Yorkshire, is nearly eight miles in length, stretching from Barnby Moor, northward to Finningley Park. It is intersected by the River Idle, the Great North Road, and the turnpikes leading from Tickhill to Worksop and Gainsborough. It contains the two chapelries of Bawtry and Austerfield, both of which are in Yorkshire, the former containing only 270 acres of land, and the latter 2,700 acres. It also comprises, besides the township of Blyth, those of Barnby-Moor-with-Bilby, Hodsock-with-Goldthorpe, Ranskill, part of Styrrup-with-Oldcoates, and Torworth. The entire parish contains 3,900 inhabitants, and 15,500 acres of land, mostly a fertile sandy soil." [White's "Directory of Nottinghamshire," 1853]
Francis WILLEY, 1st Baron Barnby, resided at Blyth Hall and was appointed High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire for 1908. He was an officer of the 2nd West Riding of Yorkshire Artillery Volunteers until his resignation in April 1891.
The War Memorial cenotaph was dedicated in August 1923 at Ridley Park near the village cemetery. 465 names are listed on the plaques. Details can be found at the Imperial War Museum website.
In 1912, Captain Percival Naylor KENT of the Nottinghamshire Yeomanry was a resident here. He was a Captain in the Dragoon Guards in 1901 and served in the 1st Imperial Light Horse during the Boer War.
The Worksop Guardian has this column from 26 April 1918:
It is with great regret that we record the death in France of Lieut. Col. P. N. Kent. Col. Kent was long in resident at Blyth where he was very popular and respected buy all. A sidesman in the Parish Church and one always ready to give assistance in any kind of work, he will be sadly missed. His two sons are serving their King and Country. We would like to offer our deepest sympathy to Mrs. Kent, her daughter, and her sons in their great loss.
The portion of the parish in Nottinghamshire was in the Hatfield division of the ancient Bassetlaw Wapentake in the northern division of the county.
This entry appears in the Bawtry parish register:
31 Jul 1858: Bawtry was separated from Blyth and with Austerfield was made a distinct parish under the name of the parish of Bawtry with Austerfield by order in Council signed on 31 Jul 1858. R HINES curate of Bawtry